Your website comprised of two tier. Frontend in GCP, and the backend is in AWS. It seems your frontend server is not able to communicate the backend server.
In this quiz, you can assume everything in AWS is setup correctly. Spot the misconfiguration in GCP.
VPC > Firewall
VPC > Routes
VPC > External IP
VPN > Tunnel
VPN > Gateway
terraform configuration file Download
There are two ways to connect GCP via internet VPN.
- - One is to use Classic VPN
- - The other way is to use VPN along with Cloud Router
In this quiz, I start exploring from the simplest one.
When you setup Classic VPN, you can choose how to configure routing from three:
- - Dynamic routing(BGP) ... automatically learns remote network
- - Route-based ... Specify remote network
- - Policy-based ... Specify both local network and remote network
Here, I used policy based. Hence I need to add a static route as it is not dynamically update the route table.
I added a static route, which destination is a subnet in AWS, and nexthop is VPN connection in GCP.